Build Housing Security-
• Housing is a human right.
• We need to act as boldly and swiftly as possible. Including voting for Prop 10, enabling tiny home enclaves, and building more affordable secondary units.
• We should work with all willing partners and explore all possibilities.
• The unhoused deserve dignity and respect, they are our neighbors, they are family.
Enact a public Bank of Oakland-
• Pay down our debt and invest in our needs.
• Our debt increases yearly by $40 million through unfunded retiree healthcare benefits.
• We are giving banks like Chase millions in debt service every year.
• We can spend that on infrastructure, affordable housing, schools, psych tech and more.
• Make our city safe for everyone.
• Demilitarize the OPD.
• Follow the lead of the Citizens' Police Review Board.
• Shift budget priorities to restorative justice programs, crisis intervention training, and explore creating a psych-tech team.
• Fight racial profiling and explore officer discipline.
Address mismanagement of public funds-
• Work with the public and community organizations to reassess city budget priorities.
• Act on the advice of the City Auditor to reign in waste and overspending.
• Shift budget priorities to the services that have the most impact. For example, housing the unhoused and bringing security and well-being to our children and elders.
End deferred maintenance-
• Fill the potholes and repair our aging sewer.
• We all know the wear and tear on our cars and bikes and the danger in represents.
• Infrastructure, such as pipes, roads and power lines need major overhaul and are likely to catastrophically fail when we get a big quake.
Improve earthquake and fire preparedness-
• The hills need evacuation routes updated in case of fire or quake.
• We must explore allocating funds to retrofit soft-story buildings.
People first, always.
Elect Matt Hummel For Oakland City Council District 4!!